Monday, March 2, 2009

Making your own counter cleaner

Why make your own counter cleaner? First, if you make it yourself, you have control over what goes into it, meaning you have control over its toxicity. Second, it’s a WHOLE lot cheaper than buying a chemical concoction at your local grocery store. Third, by making your own, you reduce packaging. I reuse my bottle. And I would probably have the vinegar et.al. on hand.

There are many, many recipes out there on the Interwebs telling you how to do this. This is my humble offering. There are more disinfectant ones out there (and I plan to try some of them and share/report back). Of course, you may tweak at will. But first, why do I use some of the ingredients I do?

Vinegar. Has anti-germ properties.
Peppermint tea. Provides an additional disinfectant.
Liquid soap. Adds a little elbow grease to the mixture.

Here’s what you need:



Vinegar
Liquid soap*
Peppermint tea
Two tea cups
Bottle



First, put water on for tea. When it boils, pour it into your cups.



Let it steep. Resist the urge to stop and have a cup.



While it's steeping, measure out a cup of vinegar and pour into the bottle (this is where the funnel comes in handy). Add 1/2 teaspoon liquid soap (not pictured; the photo didn't come out. These things happen).



When the tea's ready, pour both cups into the funnel. You might splash some. It's OK. The good news is, it's counter cleaner. You can just wipe it up when you're done.

And ... voila!

* This isn't actually Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile soap -- I repurposed a bottle. I made my own. I'll show that off another time.
(All photos are c. 2009 Steven D. Dodds II)

3 comments:

Misty said...

Peppermint tea, eh? Cool. I'll have to try it. Hey, do you mind if I share your blog with my friends? I mean, I have it on my blog roll, but I'd like to spread the word a bit. Okay with you?

Erin said...

Uhh, YEAH. Please, feel free to share! But only if I can put you on my blogroll. Any preference which blog?

Misty said...

Of course - I don't care which one. I'm easy! LOL!