Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why? Why? Why?

I’ve long been interested in environmental and health issues – trying to reduce packaging, being concerned about preservatives and other onerous ingredients in my kids’ diets, consumerism, you name it. That’s not new.

What’s been new to us is that, through circumstances not of our making, we have been forced to get by on a shoestring. And we are, to the nation’s collective distress, not alone. Not nearly.

Plus, I know too many people who, even if they are employed (and sadly, I know too many people who are not), work in unhealthy industries and are nervous about how long they’ll be working, or are nervous about the condition of their stock holdings or retirement savings.

There are six of us in my family. There’s my husband and me, and we have four kids, ages 10, 9, 5, and 2. And we have gotten by on $13,000 in the past six months. That includes Christmas. (In the interest of full disclosure, we have incurred some credit-card debt, but it’s in the low four digits.)

Everybody wants to know how we’ve done that. And there are a few ways.

First, we’ve been creative. We’ve researched ways to get the things we want for free or very cheap. We’ve been willing to go to a little more trouble to make these things happen. My husband is the champion in this regard. He will share his findings periodically.
Second, we’ve adopted more of a “back-to-the-land” policy. We’ve made everything from bread to laundry detergent from scratch, we’ve bought almost everything we needed second-hand, and this summer I plan to try to grow as many of our vegetables and fruits as I can. (I’ll let you know how that goes. I’m a notorious brown thumb.)
Third, we’ve been patient and willing to do more work than we used to. It takes more time to get things for less money. But you pay for the convenience of being able to walk into a store and get something you want off the shelves.

So, should you feel inspired by this journey, here’s my first bit of advice: Concentrate on eating healthy foods and reducing your packaging. That’s something we can all do, regardless of our employment status. Also, focus on getting (or staying) out of debt – our lack of debt going into this period is part of what’s really saved us. Live within your means. It’s an old-fashioned concept, but, well, what’s old is new again. Now, will you go to sleep a corporate suit and wake up a bread-baking, vegetable-growing, wood=splitting monster? No. Probably not. And that’s OK. Do what you can, or what you’re willing to do, and you will see that your bottom line will be better – and that your planet is a healthier one in the process.

Now, here’s my second bit of advice: If you are able – you’re working, you can spend a little without incurring debt – go out to eat every once in a while. Buy the occasional gift from a local florist, or a good book. Consumer spending is a huge part of our economy, and if it completely dies, the foundation of our economy is destroyed. Those businesses can’t employ anyone, and they can’t spend money, and so on. So if your bottom line isn’t really hurting, don’t be spooked! Live within your means, with a mind toward your health and the health of your planet. And if your anniversary’s coming up and you want to plan a big date night, enjoy it.

7 comments:

Misty said...

Looks good! I can't wait to read more.

Misty said...

Oh, and I'm going to be trying to grow more things, too. Honestly, I've been putting it off because I kept believing we were going to move back home where I actually know how to grow things. Since it looks like I'm stuck here forever, it's time to learn to garden in this climate. We'll have to chat more about it! So far the only things I've been able to grow successfully are zucchini and basil! I have a great garden space though - ready to grow.

Erin said...

We will learn together, sistah. :)

name said...

I just found your blog and like your outlook on life. My husband has always been the "thrifty" type but it is something I am learning (quickly, lol). We definitely live within our means and without debt, but I am hoping to move on to the next phase- learning to buy less, make/grow more, and spend/save money in better ways. Thanks for the inspiration!

Robin said...

Hey Kelly! Thanks for the comment! Good luck on your road, and keep checking in -- hope you find information you can use!

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome Robin! Paying off our debt is our main focus right now too. It is stressful thinking about owing money. We are looking forward to having a barter share at our CSA this year too...that money saved can pay down more debt. The other thing we do is reuse as much as possible. I haven't bought paper towels in over 6 months...we use our flannel "un-paper" towels over and over. It's amazing how much a large family consumes!

Can't wait to read more! Might you be posting your laundry detergent recipe?

Erin said...

I will definitely be posting the detergent recipe. Stay tuned!